Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Backdated.

"Lose It!"
* Ellie's Krieger's Healthy Appetite cookbook -- beautiful cookbook, recipes sound great, but I know I'll never make one of them.

Cookbook Challenge Stats: 16 down/37 to go
* light blue cargo pants from 2004 -- they are too short for me and also too tight, have shed illogical thought that if I lost "five or ten pounds" the pants would then be long enough

* eight empty baby wash bottles -- the boys enjoy playing with them in the tub, but I'm tired of pouring stagnant water from them before the next evening's bath. Also, Little Bit has been trying to drink out of them. Gross.

* some more stuff that I can't remember . . .

Confession:
I went to Dollar Tree today, defying (and not for the first time) my 2009 vow to stop bringing crap into my house. I got some stuff to do some crafts around here. Not horrible, but still, crap.

Request:
Give me some inspiration. I'm in the mood to rid of big stuff. You know, to make it look as if I'm really losing it around here. Tell me what to get rid of.

Okay, I'm going to recommit to this blog and this project.

5 comments:

Actchy said...

I'm looking at a huge pile of photos in frames. Old ones. Ones that were in a box that wasn't unpacked or even opened after our last move. Like, an old plastic light blue frame with a photo from the Miss Freakshow pageant.

I'm contemplating taking the photos from the frames, either trashing or donating the frames, and possibly starting an album that would be specifically dedicated to photos that used to be in frames. I thought this might be interesting: an album out of time and subject sequence, that would essentially hold favorite photos that spanned the years?

Anonymous said...

funny, I was going to reference pictures/frames too. As much as I like every photo I have ever deemed frameworthy, getting rid of a few here and there have made certain areas look less cluttered. How about stuffed animals? I Recently got rid of about 20 without the girls even noticing some were gone. Candles...ditch random candles that never get lit and really do not give off a scent while just sitting there. Clean out cupboard...surely there are some things you will never use, so just lose them. Anything in storage that you forgot you even had...LAP

Anonymous said...

I, too, have thought of Actchy's suggestion. I have not moved forward but love the suggestion. Also LAP threw out some good suggesttions. I would say any toy I spent this much on it. Hopefully you got your enjoyment out of it and it ready for wherever you choose to move or lose it. Perhaps like clothes if you haven't worn (played with) it in a year, gonzo. m

E... said...

I just filled a bin with baby toys culled from the baskets -- didn't really make much of a dent in the clutter, but made me feel better. Even Little Bit surely has outgrown some of the teethers, etc.??
On the theme of framed things, why not "art" you will probably never hang again? I have a whole shelf of it in the basement. Ditto vases, etc. I really have a lot of work I could do in my storage area: lots of those boxes that got moved but never opened. Every time I go in there, the kids follow me, and it's not too safe.
Get a room painted -- it makes you clear all the crap out of the room at least temporarily, and then you are a little more choosy about what goes back in.

BeeARawFoodie said...

I just found your blog. I am paring down and doing the 100 Thing Challenge. I feel like I've been purging, donating, and dealing with stuff for the 5 years I've been tuned into "You don't own your stuff, your stuff owns you." I can't wait to catch up on all the previous posts -- finally a blog that gets me! Hooray!

For me, this last week was a give books away week. I tell myself I had all summer to read these -- and did I? No. There will always be a library, amazon and used book stores. So, for my life today, all of these books need to go back into the universe. I cleaned out two bookshelves worth -- donated to all sorts of places. The space -- ahaaaa-- and the welcome invitation for new adventures to come my way (not in the form of stuff) now that I have jumped that emotional hurdle. Not easy, but I'm glad I could finally let go.

Next: THe bins of fabric... ugh. Its not the stuff so much as the "someday dreams" and the hopes & promises attached to the stuff that just get me...

Thank you for your writings!