Tuesday, January 5, 2010

I am going to SASH (and stash) less.

I lose a bunch of stuff in the Fall of 2009 that I never made time to tell you about. Tons of clothes, novels I know I will never and ever read again, and about eight more cookbooks. One of those cookbooks was a Macy's Culinary Circle one that featured my foodie crush Rick Bayless, but I had to get honest with myself that the recipes in that particular cookbook generally exceeded my skills and my patience. I can't remember what else I lost, but that's just a sign that the stuff was really meant to be lost.

2010 is going to be a HUGE year for losing, mostly because it has to be. Here's a partial tally so far . . .

"Lose It!"
* many more clothes, particularly ones that will not interest me at all once I am finally not pregnant and fitting into "regular" clothes

* at least six sashes -- why does a high-waisted girl who never tucks in her shirts and prefers not to cinch her waist in any fashion have a single sash, not to mention six of them? When there's no good answer to that question, there's no reason to keep stashing sashes.

* some kitchen accessories -- I won't go into detail, but I am having to grapple with tough questions, such as, "Am I ever actually going to host a Mexican Fiesta?"

* back issues of magazines that I love but can no longer justify keeping around on the off chance that I will ever reread them -- so long Bookmarks and Eating Well (comforted knowing that all the Eating Well recipes are on their website).

* socks with no matches -- I've held on to some of these lonely socks for years, thinking "You could use them as dusters or turn them into puppets." But I won't. Forgive me for not trying to find these socks a good home or use.

I know I'm forgetting stuff, but that's a start. I think I'm moving on to shoes soon and then going to do a nice weed-through of the craft cabinet.

What have you been losing in the New Year's Rush? I need ideas and inspiration.

2 comments:

Sue and Randy said...

We cleaned the garage after packing away the Christmas decor. I finally let my husband throw away the numerous Britax boxes stashed in the corner. I don't know what I was thinking--maybe that after my kids drooled over our various car seats for 3-6 years, I could put them on ebay as "like new with box." I'll blame it on new mommy brain from way back then...but boy, a clean garage is nice!

E... said...

I went through a box of old purses that was taking up valuable space in the coat closet. Moved some of them to my own closet, figuring it's a giant mess in there and when I get really serious about what I need when I don't need to carry half a ton of toys and diapers and wipes I can go through them then. I got rid of about four. You will appreciate this: I found inside one of them a photo button with the 1998-99 Mason Comets basketball team on it. I gave it to Annie as a present last night, and she said she was going to wear it into Gerry's room today.