Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mirror, Mirror in the wall

"Use It!"
In our main room, we have a built-in set of three, deep glass shelves surrounded by and trimmed with mirrors. There's a light at the top of the built-in. I would not consider this built-in to be a selling point of our home, except for buyers who think it is still 1987. When we first moved in, I used these shelves to display pictures. It was not ideal because the shelves are a bit too deep and because the combination of the glass, the mirror, and the light made the fact that I don't dust my picture frames all that regularly VERY apparent.

Now, we use these shelves for storage and (attempts at) organization. The top shelf houses stuff that I need to keep out of Bub's reach like Desitin, scissors, Sharpies, postage stamps . . . just to name a few items. The bottom two shelves are filled with cardboard magazine holders that I use to store stuff like mail, catalogues, information related to Bub's school, Bub's coloring books, and other stuff that I think I might need but don't have another place to store.

I'm getting bored even describing these shelves so I'll wrap this up by showing you that I used my full-sheet labels from Staples to print free clip art from Dover Designs, which I then used to cover the ugly cardboard magazine holders. The result is some fancy magazine holders more worthy of the "beautiful" mirrored shelves.

Here are some photos.


Please note how the mirrors surrounding the shelves create the illusion of even more magazine holders than there are. Wow.

No comments: