Thursday, April 2, 2009

Shredding Makes Me Feel Good

"Use It!"
* the shredder my husband got me for my birthday last year (don't knock him for the unromantic gift, I asked for it) -- I'm not obsessively worried about identity fraud but worried enough not to throw credit card and bank statements away without ripping or cutting them up which, let's face it, gets tedious. Since I received the shredder, I have been using the shredder as a receptacle for to-be-shredded items. I was hesitant to plug it in because I did not want Bub to shred his fingers (though it seems hard to do). Anyway, I moved it to the basement and got to shredding. It takes more time than I thought, but it is satisfying.

The next step is to go paperless on credit card and bank statements. The bank ones I could do easily because I don't usually open them (not because I have so much in my account that I don't need to, but because I keep careful track of my checking account already). The credit card statement will be more difficult to give up because I need the physical statement cluttering up my purse or the area near my computer as a reminder to take care of the charges.

Have you gone paperless on bank and credit card statements? Are you pleased?

4 comments:

CaraBee said...

Ooh, I like the new background! We're all paperless here. Our shredder is one thing that absolutely terrifies Sophie. The noise will drive her to shrieking tears.

Anonymous said...

Ithink I would like a tutorial on going paperless. I would never write a check at the check out at a store but I still get my stack of bills each month and write out checks (a lot of them, which is definitely ntb about) m

Actchy said...

We're all about online bill pay, for the most part. But then we (and all of the seniors in the Western Hemisphere) saw 60 Minutes last Sunday and are considerably freaked out about computer hackers.

Beth Weist Allman said...

I made a spreadhseet with my bills in order of the day of the month they are due, and just pay them online on my paydays for the next two weeks.
I rarely open a bill when I get it, except when I am going to file it away.
I would say about half of my bills still send paper statements, and the other half I get an email when my statement is available online.