Thursday, March 5, 2009

Paperless Society?

"Lose It!"
* lots and lots of paper -- Today I set to the task of going through some of my dissertation files, decided there is no need to save earlier versions of my chapters as I know for certain that even if I return to the same topics in my future career, I am not likely to say, "But wait, back in the second version of my first chapter that I wrote in the summer of 2005, I think I had a really great idea." Not going to happen. Some of the pages went into the recycling and the rest . . . well, they're in a box. Bub and Little Bit have a lifetime supply of paper for scribbling and such . . . there may even be paper left when they're old enough to draft their own dissertations.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can see how it might be hard to release any part of all that work. So hats off to you for ditching the second version of the first chapter and also making use of all that paper. m

cake said...

wow. it is a "lose it," and a "use it" all rolled up into one!perfect!

i know i have some boxes like that, and it is just for a thesis, not a dissertation. i was in a writing group with some brilliant people(NTB), and i love to look at the comments they made on drafts, and sections. but you are so right, so much time has passed, i would never end up looking back at anything other than the final draft. i love the idea of turning it into art paper for the little one.

on an unrelated note, i have a post up that i hope you will participate in. if you aren't into crafting things, maybe you could have your "surprises" be things you are "losing," that you think others could "use." won't you take a look, and at least consider it?
thanks.
http://whistlingleafblower.blogspot.com/
2009/03/first-responders.html

unfortunately, i don't really know how to post links in comments, but you know where to find me.
heart.

cake said...

p.s. i promise that whatever i send you will be useful.