Sunday, March 1, 2009

V-H-Yes and No . . .

I'm trying to get rid of my VHS tapes, but it is more difficult than I thought. I did manage to lose fourteen tapes this afternoon, some great movies among them -- The English Patient, You Can Count on Me -- and some goodies too -- As Good As It Gets, Duets, Happy Gilmore, Truman Show. But even if we did have our VCR hooked up, making time to watch movies is not a priority. If I found or made time for movie watching, I am going to watch a new release or true favorite.

I also let go of a couple of my high school teacher tapes, including a dubbed copy of the pre-Leo and Clare Romeo and Juliet film in which, for a fraction of a second, one can glimpse Olivia Hussey's breast, or rather, one could have glimpsed that breast except that one of my colleagues edited it out and distributed "clean" copies. Yep. If any of you have been wanting to screen that film for your own Shakespeare-loving children, but were hesitating due to the nudity, you have a few days to speak up before I take out my "clean" copy with the basement trash (dubbed tapes were trashed, legit ones are being donated).

There's one tape I'm for sure not losing. It's labeled "Badin J.V's vs. Purcell 2-15-02" but I happen to know the (only) footage from our wedding is on it.

2 comments:

Actchy said...

MEP, I'm sorry, but "Duets" is *not* a good movie.

Anonymous said...

You go girl...I know watching a VHS tape is probably not in my immediate future, but I CANNOT bear to throw away or even donate Dirty Dancing or Hope Floats. Sorry, I can't join you on this one...L