Sunday, February 1, 2009

(Re)Discovering Dayton

I'm not a Junior Leaguer, but I do have two Junior League cookbooks, both of which I really like and use. Every recipe I've tried from the Cincinnati one -- I'll Cook When Pigs Fly . . . and they do in Cincinnati! -- has been fairly successful, especially the Hot Bacon and Swiss Dip (which I affectionately refer to as "Fat Dip"), oh so easy and cheesy. Causing a Stir, from the Junior League of Dayton, has also served me well, most notably for its Proscuitto Pinwheel recipe, a great success at a wine-tasting party in 2005.

Causing a Stir also includes favorite recipes from Discover Dayton, an earlier JL cookbook that my mom used quite a bit when I was growing up.

I was in the mood for chocolate chip cookies this weekend and happened upon a recipe in Causing a Stir. "Best Chocolate Chip Cookies" were soft, which is how I like my cookies, but not crumbly or insubstantial. I liked them enough to eat at least a dozen myself, and my husband dubbed them "fine" (fairly high praise around here).* I gave half the batch to our nephew, who was sweet enough to babysit for us last night.

The special ingredient in this cookie recipe is a 1.7 ounce package of instant vanilla pudding. I had pudding on hand, but only in 3.4 ounce packages. Do they even make 1.7 ounce packages? The 3.4 ounce box yields 4 servings of a .5 cup each, which is really not a lot of pudding. Would one really buy a box of pudding that makes 1 cup of pudding? I'm not buying that.

Do you have a favorite chocolate chip cookie? Which of your cookbooks have you used lately?

Cookbook Challenge Stats for anyone keeping track: 5 down / 50 to go.
I have the rest of 2009 to try one new recipe in each of the cookbooks I don't want to "lose."

2 comments:

Actchy said...

I cannot believe this is the first time I've hit "JUILI"! I am going to love this. I have much catching up to do!

Anonymous said...

Chocolate chip cookies... now there's s topic I could wax poetic about for quite a long time. 1) Standard Toll House (from the back of the package) is a favorite. 2) Der Dutchman sells dough at our local market which is a special treat (and good because I only make one or two cookies at a time). 3) We attended a party last night where the hostess used a new Ghiradelli Triple Chocolate Chip Cookie box mix. To DIE For.