Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Britastic Fridge Factor

"Use It!"
I admit I haven't done a lot of research about water quality in Chicago, but tap water on ice tastes fine to me. We do have a Brita pitcher, which I enjoy for a nice class of chilled water sans ice. I am not all that vigilant about filling the Brita pitcher, a shame because the pitcher takes up prime fridge real estate, front and center, and it occupies this spot whether or not it's filled. That's right, I am sometimes so lazy that I will place a completely empty Brita pitcher back in the fridge. If it's going to block my view of other stuff in the fridge, it should at least be filled. Also, if it's filled, I use it and thus drink more water. Anyway, the past few days I have been really good about keeping the Brita filled.

"Lose It!"
* half gallon of half and half from December -- the expiration date says February 2, 2009, but the carton also mentions that you should use within seven days of opening and this half and half was opened before Christmas

The more I police the fridge, the more aware I am of what we have in stock and the less likely I am to buy duplicate items and to let items waste because they were obscured from view.

2 comments:

CaraBee said...

When I got up yesterday and began the process of unpacking us, one of the things I had to do was clean out some junk from the fridge. I discovered a pint of half and half from October. Ewww. Lost it.

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize you were supposed to pitch half and half 7 days after opening. I got so sick of buying it at Christmas because of the increased demand that I purchased the half gallon size. I guess I should pitch it, it has been around for nearly a month but once again the date is 2/09. Interesting. m