Monday, January 19, 2009

Wait for the tone.

Today's post is brief because mostly what we have been losing the past 24 hours around here is SLEEP! The Bub was up a good portion of last night with an extremely painful ear infection, and Little Bit added to the excitement with his typical two nightly wake-ups, plus one extra prompted by Bub's crying.

I did find a moment, however, to toss a book entitled Amy's Answering Machine into the books-to-go box. It's a small hardback book containing transcripts of loony answering machine messages Amy's mom left her. I remember finding it amusing, but I know I won't read it again and don't need it on my shelf to remind me of a past, positive reading experience. This volume was housed on one of the basement guest room shelves, and when I grabbed it, I noted that I will need to revisit those shelves for more losing.

I love books and do not feel any particular urgency to rid myself of the majority of my collection, but I am definitely starting to think more carefully about which books I "need" to have around and to buy in the future. Just curious, do any of you have a book policy?

One more thing, I am proud to report that the only two things I purchased at CVS today were: antibiotic for ear infection and children's motrin. I had to wait for the prescription for 20 minutes, and I didn't even peek at the Christmas stuff, now reduced to 90% off.

1 comment:

cake said...

forgive me, i am way behind on reading this wonderful blog, but that doesn't mean i am not thinking about it all the time!

i just took a peek at my bookshelf too, and wondered about a few titles. to me, a bookshelf tells a story about who i have been and things i have studied, or been interested in. but, i have to remind myself that the library has A LOT of books. so, say, novels that i don't plan to read over and over, those can go. _Gender, Space, Architecture: an interdisciplinary introduction_ that one, i'm keeping.