Thursday, January 8, 2009

Urn, possibly Grecian?

"Lose It!"
* large decorative urn that has been hiding in front closet for four years -- was I going to put flowers in it? umbrellas? ashes? I can't say so I think it shall go
* bag of whole wheat flour labeled "better by August 2008" as have been advised by a wise reader (thank you, cake) that the stuff goes bad quickly and can make one ill.

"Use It!"
* 1 can from my 12 pack of tomato paste from Costco (10 to go -- to be clear, 10 cans not 12 packs, I'm not completely nuts)
* Said tomato paste was a required ingredient in the Barbecued Turkey Sloppy Joes I made in my slow cooker today, recipe courtesy of Natalie Haughton's The Best Slow Cooker Cookbook Ever. These were not the best slow cooked sloppy joes I have ever eaten, but I did neglect to add the "liquid smoke" and perhaps it would have made all the difference. I didn't have any liquid smoke (the name freaks me out a little), and I consider it progress that I did not run out to secure an item that might have become another potential "Lose It!" down the line. For those of you paying attention to my Cookbook Challenge, I have now made new recipes from 2 of my cookbooks so 2 down, 53 to go.

3 comments:

CaraBee said...

First off, Liquid Smoke is nothing to fear. I have it and enjoy putting it on burgers, among other things. It's kind of like vanilla, it smells so yummy and really makes the difference in a recipe but tastes like absolute dog doo straight.

I only thing I lost today was about two inches of hair. I got it cut this afternoon and kept saying, "a little shorter..." I might have gone too far. Think GI Jane. Yikes.

Anonymous said...

I took a paint can looking container full of popcorn to the nursing home for my mom. She couldn't open it so I took the bag of popcorn out of it and started to carry the can home and then I just thought I don't need it and "lost" it in the garbage there. (kind of kicking myself now because I was actually looking for a tin container for cookies at Christmas) but still pleasesd not to have to house it until next year. m

cake said...

i'm so proud of you for not getting the liquid smoke.