Sunday, January 11, 2009

De-noted.

In preparing to carpet their upstairs, my parents emptied the closets in the former bedrooms of me and my siblings. They asked us kindly to go sort through our stuff.* I sorted my stuff and had winnowed it down to one (large) bin, but then with holiday gifts and bags and kid stuff filling our car, I had to leave that bin behind. Before 2009 began, I made the decision to lose my Sweet Valley Twins books, my Babysitters Club, and various others (I saved Beverly Cleary's works, my All-of-a-Kind Family books, and some others that were favorites of mine growing up. I also lost a large pile of 5x7 notecards that I had made to prepare for various exams in college. If someone ever wants to quiz about Theology 100 or Plants, Food, and Society (a science class for non-science people like me), I will now be sorely unprepared. I will spare you an account of all that I lost or not . . . a couple of items will likely need to be tossed again once the bin arrives in Chicago (I promise, mom and dad, I'm picking it up, next trip) and I have to ponder what is worth storing under my own roof. I was very close to throwing away a large box of looseleaf notes, often quite artfully-folded, that I had received in high school. I reread a few of them and they made me smile and I had the idea that I could read them all once more and then toss them. At the same time, I kind of knew that would take hours and was not necessary. Anyway, my parents were hauling my bin into their garage this afternoon and called to figure out what to do about the box of notes. My mom thought I wanted to toss them; my dad thought I wanted to save them. I am proud to report that I called back and authorized tossing the box of notes ("Lose It!"). Sure, I will never again be able to reference just how bored my friends were during fourth period, how tired from football practice, nervous about Homecoming, or annoyed by other friends . . . but I think I will survive. After all, I'm on Facebook now.

So, fess up, did you save your high school notes?


*I want to say that my parents are incredibly kind about storing stuff, considering that they are currently unable to park a single car in their multi-car garage, thanks to that sort of kindness.

8 comments:

CaraBee said...

I did not save my notes. However, I would be willing to bet that if I went through some old boxes in my parents basement, I would find a couple. Although it might be fun to look back through them, they were mostly mundane, boring stuff, so I don't really feel too bereft by their loss.

E... said...

All of mine are around somewhere. I caught a glimpse of them this weekend when J. was looking for college photos to post on facebook, but remained mum on their presence. Not ready for that project yet. My parents are also generous storers, though every time I visit she has some single item waiting for me to "use or lose"

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed that you saved your 5x7 cards from Plants, Food, and Society and equally impressed that you are now losing them. I remember that class, and in particular, the instructor, Fr. McGrath. He was very kind to the non-science oriented student. I must confess that I got rid of all of those class materials just as soon as that semester was over!

Anonymous said...

i have a "file" for each of my close friends, and because they are mostly the same friends i had since grade school, i just tossed the notes in the file of the person that it was from. it proved to be fun at wedding showers and such, i would bring notes to go through.
incidentally, one of those childhood friends is your college friend, deborah h.
that's how i found your blog.
my name is beth. i think i met you a few times in cincinnati.
i thoroughly enjoy your blogs!!

Anonymous said...

I hope you are not having loser's remorse over those notes. I think I did not love my school years nearly as much as you and your father, hence his penchant for saying save them. m

Anonymous said...

Same thing happened to me when my folks moved. Problem is now my dad sends me old tools, random dad workbench stuff and spare light switches when he's cleaning out his stuff...Irv

cake said...

anything notes or journals i have from childhood or high school is saved. i lost a lot of things like that, which were precious to me, and so, what remains, i'm keeping.

but your story reminds me of what happened to carl when we visited his parents for christmas. they are also generous about storing things, but carl's dad hauled a large box into the living room, and announced that carl had "some decisions to make." the box was filled with carl's hats--all different styles. apparently carl wore a lot of hats as a teenager. he modeled them all for the family members seated, and found some real treasures to take home. sadly, after a few days, the novelty/nostalgia wore off, and he's back to his blue stocking cap with the "BIG DIG" patch on it, from boston.

Anonymous said...

I'm a tosser myself and those high school notes are long-gone. I have kept a few of those really special notes and cards, one from MEP herself when I was very sick in grade school, requiring hospitalization. The teacher made the class make me a card and MEP's was one of the cutest, so it is saved.....in a bin....in the attic. Well, one day I'll get back up there and see that bin and smile. Glad to find this blog spot! very entertaining to me! Rita