Thursday, January 29, 2009

Read My Lips: "No New Books"

"No New Books" is actually a promise I cannot keep, but I am trying to use the library, be thoughtful about my book purchases, and to "lose" the books I do not need to keep in my home. I mentioned "The Lingerers" in my initial Just Use It or Lose It post -- some books I have had on my shelf for more than five years, have moved with me at least once and yet still not read. I could give a history on how and why I obtained each book, but I won't bore you with backstory. I have other unread books on my shelf, but these titles are on the clock. I read them in 2009 or lose them. Without further ado, I present "The Lingerers" . . .

(the black book is You Shall Know Your Velocity by Dave Eggers -- backstory because I couldn't resist: purchased at a cool event in Chicago that I attended with my friend E . . . -- Dave Eggers, other writers from McSweeneys, personalities from NPR, and They Might Be Giants performing)

Do you have lingerers? Give me your titles and consider yourself on the clock.

2 comments:

E... said...

You shall know our velocity, probably not worth your time, though I agree, one of the best backstories ever. So much fun.
I would nominate Life of Pi to go to the top of the pile, but I know you don't like animals much, so instead I think you should start with The Poisonwood Bible. I'd be so sad if you didn't get to it.
I have many many lingerers: maybe I'll start working on a stack. But then that means I can't buy any more Kindle titles :(

CaraBee said...

The only one I have read is the Poisonwood Bible, so I'm going to have to agree with E... that you should read it first. It's quite good.