Sunday, January 4, 2009

Wine box, not Franzia.

Today's "Lose It!" List:
* a beautiful red blanket -- have held on to it for years because it is from Pottery Barn and was a gift, but the fact is we don't use the blanket because it leaves red fuzzies all over our clothes and traps lint and dust bunnies like you wouldn't believe
* a size 8 black cocktail dress -- was purchased on a whim at TJ Maxx I believe (probably for about $29.99, possibly less), but except for 12 minutes in 1999 and 5 minutes in early 2007, I am not a size eight . . . if I am ever a size 8 and have occasion to wear a dress, you better believe I will be out shopping for a special one
* a cardboard box with three styrofoam inserts perfect for mailing wine (wine was delivered to us in this very box) -- gone with this box is the delusion is that I might need it to mail wine to someone; I haven't ever mailed wine to anyone and don't foresee doing so in the future

I cleaned out our pantry today, and am now aware of an abundance of the following ingredients: pudding mix, light Karo syrup, mini marshmallows, crisco sticks, food coloring, flour, sugar, brown sugar, powdered sugar . . . looks like I am all set for all those bake sales (?) in which I participate. When attempting to make a new recipe out of each of my 55 (just counted them today) cookbooks this year (or give away those that get ignored), I will be on the lookout for recipes utilizing some of the above ingredients. Cookbook Challenge stats to date: 1 down, 54 to go.

5 comments:

CaraBee said...

I really need to clean out my cupboards. Neil has put down his foot on a couple of items, not the least of which is three jars of sour cherries that I accidentally bought a few years ago. (I thought they were regular cherries.) So now I need to get cracking on finding a recipe for sour cherries. Any ideas?

Anonymous said...

Great list. While BB is good at regulating clutter, he has a penchant for saving boxes. Perhaps your wine example will inspire him to throw out the sturdy boxes "good for mailing", the several year old boxes "in case we need to return this", etc.

Wow, 55 cookbooks. I say just get a couple good church cookbooks where locals aren't afraid to attach their names and you are good to go. We can see who the more adventurous chef in the family is...

Anonymous said...

After a purging of expired items from my pantry pre Christmas, I am trying to limit my purchases to just fresh produce and use the meat in the freezer and the cans, boxes, etc. in the cupboard. I think we all crave simplicity it just a bit of work to get there. Happy using and losing in 2009. m

Anonymous said...

The best way to de-clutter your life is to marry someone who throws all your stuff away. If you didn't do that, then i guess it will take some discipline. Good for you, though. I am however much more of a get it over with type person. I like to go through the whole house at once and purge...however, that does not make for an interesting blog. Keep on keeping on! You can do it!
Melissa

cake said...

carabee, make a cherry pie! that's what those are for.

MEP, i am the worst when it comes to clothes i used to be able to wear. i keep thinking, "someday, i will be this size again!" or, i want proof that i once was? i don't know, but you are totally right, that if i do suddenly find myself in clothes that are too baggy to wear, i am not going to go searching through old bags or boxes of clothes ( i actually have a box labeled "clothes that no longer fit, that i want to keep"). no, IF that ever happens, i am going to go (probably to the thrift stores) and get something that fits.